Sunday, October 28, 2012

Only in California,,,the Sushirrito.

Source: http://www.sushirrito.com/
I first ran across this about a year ago. I haven't had a chance to visit yet but I hope to do so soon because I have a lot of questions.  Is this a burrito shaped food made with sushi ingredients? Or is it just a really really jumbo sushi roll? I'm not sure. Apparently this is the specialty food at a chain of restaurants in San Francisco, CA. The menu features food fusion delights like the...Sumo Crunch? Um. Not so sure about that name(I think we can all thank our lucky stars that the suffix -ito hasn't found its way onto the menu here.) Anyway, there's items such as the Sumo Crunch, which features "Surimi crab, shaved cabbage, cucumber, avocado, green onions, red tempura flakes" all topped with a sriracha aioli.

Suddenly I have questions. Red tempura flakes of what? Isn't sriracha Thai in origin? And isn't aioli Italian?


This looked amazing at first but I'm starting to wonder if this is true fusion food or just super trendy, doing too much food.  Any burrito purists and sushi enthuasiasts in the room are more than likely horrified, but it has the potential to taste pretty good. I think. I'm not sure. I have to admit I'm casting a mighty sideways eye at the Porkivore...which features "oven roasted pork belly, melted Swiss cheese, shaved cabbage, avocado, cilantro, green onions, [and] red radish." with a mustard seed mayo. That doesn't sound like a burrito-sushi mashup to me. It sounds like the illegimate child of a banh mi and a North Carolina barbecue.  That's not a bad thing but hmmm....

If you're in San Francisco, pop into one of the Sushirritto restaurants and let me know...

1 comment:

  1. I think I might pass on the sushirritto...I'm not a fan of sushi and defacing a burrito is sacrelige in my eyes.

    Also, I thought sriracha was Thai as well, but I haven't seen it in the 10 months I've been here. Puzzling.

    ReplyDelete